The Evolution of Zero VOCs Paints
Getting our homes painted with a fresh coat of color is one of the best sources of enjoyment and creativity. The color of our home not only gives a fresh look to our place but also reflect our personality through whatever we chose. The best interior paint is a very important decision and there are a lot of choices out there to decide which works best in yours. You can browse dozens of color options online but bedroom wall is tricky spots.
When it comes to giving your home a fresh coat of paint, the bedroom and living room are where you need to pay most of your attention as these rooms are where you spend a significant amount of time every day. A well-chosen coat of paint can reinvent any room and help you make a design statement with minimal effort. However, by choosing the most attractive and inspirational color for your rooms, it is also imperative to pay attention to your health.
Yes! You can choose eco-friendly paint for your home that’s low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which can improve indoor air quality and ultimately your health.
Top 7 Best Interior Paint Brand to Buy in 2018
With endless options available out there, it can be a very daunting task which color palette to choose as paint for interior walls. Well! To make things easier for you, here is the list of top 7 eco-friendly interior paint you want to see
1.Benjamin Moore Ultra interior Paint – Eco-Friendly, Zero VOC
The flat finish white color gallon comes with zero VOC, low odor, excellent hiding, and uniform flat finish. If you are looking for something that offers great touch up, spatter resistance, easy cleanup, and easy application, this would be a perfect choice. The color is quick dry, washable, and qualifies for LEED v4 credit.
Application: This paint is an ideal choice for interior wall and ceiling surfaced in residential as well as commercial environments. It can also be easily used for new or previously painted interior wallboard, plaster, wood or metal.
2. Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint – Non-Toxic, Eco-Friendly, Zero VOC
The chalk finish paint offers superior coverage i.e. 1 or 2 coats with no sanding or priming required. Specifically designed for furniture and cabinets, the paint comes with zero VOC and thus safe to use indoors. It is an ideal choice for those who are looking for a paint that offers silky chalky finish. The paint dries in just 20 minutes and no sanding or priming is required.
Application: Designed for maintaining a healthy environment, the chalky finish is great for a shabby chic, vintage or contemporary styles. As this paint does not have the dangerous chemicals, it is ideal for bedrooms.
3. Prestige Paints Interior Paint and Primer In One – Low VOC
The interior paint and primer-in-one is designed with a durable formula to offer greater coverage and smooth application. The paint comes with low VOC i.e. less than 5 g/1 prior to tinting and low odor. This paint, when applied as per proper directions, is warranted for a lifetime.
Application: As this paint self-primes, it can be a perfect choice for uncoated drywalls as well as already painted surfaces. The quality of this paint makes it ideal to be used in living rooms, dining rooms, offices, hallways, and of course bedrooms.
4. Montage Signature Interior/Exterior Eco-Friendly Paint
The eco-friendly paint offers excellent coverage while providing the necessary defense against mold and mildew. This paint is produced from raw and post-consumer latex paints and thus an environment-friendly option for updating the color of home and furniture. A lot of color options are available when you go with this choice and the paint applied smoothly with great coverage. It is also very easy to clean and defends against mold and mildew. Featuring a water base, the paint is available in two finish options: low sheen and semi-gloss.
Application: This high-quality paint is designed for both interior and exterior use and perfect for walls, ceilings, and more. The semi-gloss and low-sheen finishes are ideal for both residential and commercial projects.
5. KILZ TRIBUTE Interior Matte Paint and Primer in One
The interior matte and primer-in-one is a low-VOC and 100% acrylic advanced technology paint which is formulated for great coverage and smooth finish. It offers a subtle, flat finish and also resists dirt. As the paint is primer-in-one, it is ideal for light to dark color changes. As the paint is low VOC, it is also low in odor regardless of the color palette you choose. Color options are endless when
you go with this choice.
Application: As this advanced technology paint and primer in one is formulated for superior hide, durability, and mildew-resistant, it is ideal for both residential and commercial usage.
6.Diamond Brite Paint Semi-Gloss Latex Pain – Low VOC
The semi-gloss latex paint is a low odor, dirt, and grease resistant and can be brushed, rolled or sprayed. It is designed to be used on doors, trim, and cabinets in kitchens and bathrooms. As far as the cleanliness is concerned, the paint can be cleaned easily by washing. This paint can be a perfect choice as a best interior paint.
Application: This paint is most often used on interior walls, bedrooms, ceilings, woodwork, family rooms, kids’ rooms, dining rooms, and offices. It can be used on surfaces like wood, drywall, masonry, aluminum, brick, stucco, and vinyl.
7. Inspired Semi-Gloss Interior Paint
The semi-gloss interior paint comes with features like low odor, durable, quick drying and washable. The Green Wise certified paint offer superior coverage and durability. The company calls it a Paint for The People and The Planet as it does not emit harmful chemicals like VOC once applied.
Application: This environment-friendly paint is perfect for dining rooms, ceilings, trim, and doors.
What is VOC in the interior paint?
When we talk about painting our homes these days, we also hear from companies touting about VOC. What are VOCs and why companies are touting about these numbers? As discussed on various websites, the solvent that gets released into the air as the paint dries are VOCs and the emissions can cause acute symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, and similar. Therefore, the manufacturers have started complying with certain limits, for instance, 250 grams per liter (g/l) for flat finishes and 380 g/l for other finishes such as low-luster and semi-gloss. Some companies even started following more stringent limits like 50 g/l for all finishes.
If the paint has fewer than 250 g/L, it will be said to be as low-VOC paint while to be called as zero-VOC paint, the paint has to have less than 5 g/L.
Here are a few sources of VOCs:
- Paints & other solvents
- Aerosol sprays
- Wood preservatives
- Some stored fuels
- Automotive products
- Cleansers and disinfectants
- Dry-cleaned clothing
- Air fresheners
- Copiers and printers
- Carbonless copy paper
- Glues and adhesives and more
What are the effects of VOC interior paint on your health?
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are emitted as gases or we can say a variety of chemicals which may lead to an array of health issues. Concentrations of many VOCs are consistently higher indoors as compared to outdoors and may have short as well as long-term effects on health.
The EPA (The United States Environmental Protection Agency) explains that VOCs are extremely hazardous and can cause eye, nose and throat irritation, nausea, headaches, and even damage to the liver, kidney and central nervous system.
Here are few health effects of using paint with a higher level of VOCs:
- Eye, Nose and throat irritation
- Loss of coordination
- Damage to liver and kidney
- Damage to central nervous system
However, there is not much known about what exact health effects occur from the levels of VOCs usually found in paints.
What are the most popular types of non-toxic paints?
When you are planning to give your home a new look and feel with a coat of fresh color, make your mind to go for the healthy alternative. While traditional paints emit harmful VOCs into the air, the non-toxic paints are an ideal solution. When it comes to choosing which non-toxic paint you would need for your home, here are a few options:
- Zero VOC Paints: Any paint with VOCs in the range of 5 grams per liter or less comes under this category, as per EPA. However, the manufactures still use some allowed quantity of colorants, fungicides, and biocides with some VOCs; the level of toxic chemicals is acceptable as it is quite low even when a tint of color is added to the color which brings the VOC level up to 10 grams per liter.
- Low VOC Paints: Any paint that makes use of water instead of petroleum-based solvents comes under this category. As these paints use water, the level VOCs is much less than their solvent-based countertops. Coming to the EPA standards, the amount of VOCs is equaled to or less than 200 grams per liter.
- Natural Paints: Any paint made up of natural materials falls under this category and this is the most eco-friendly option. The paint is prepared using materials like natural latex, clay, chalk, earth, water, plant oils, plant resins, essential oils and mineral dyes. The natural paint is an ideal solution for people with respiratory problems, pregnant ladies, and children.
Why should you use zero VOCs paint for bedroom?
You probably spend a lot of time picking out the perfect colors for your home, but how much time do you spend to learn if the paint is good for your health. What about those levels of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) the paint contains? VOCs are toxic chemicals emitted from drying paint and can cause health hazards, especially for those with allergies and asthma. Therefore, It should be an important factor while choosing any paint for your home especially bedrooms where you spend some quality time.
Here’s why you should use zero VOC paint:
- Low or zero VOC paints are good for health.
- These paints are now cost-effective and high in quality.
- Zero VOC paints are comparable in both price and performance to traditional paints.
- Use zero VOC paints with waterborne zero VOC colorants as you can sleep in a bedroom painted that day.
- This paint is pretty much odorless and does not release any harmful chemicals.
- You get cleaner air as the paint itself maintains a better level of air quality within your home.
- You do not have to inhale toxic fumes during or after the painting process as zero VOC paint does not release chemicals.
- With low or zero levels of VOC, you will be able to get back into your home quicker as there are no odors.
- It is an environment-friendly as well as a cost-effective solution as zero VOC paints are very similar to traditional paints when it comes to price.
- This type of paint is easier to clean by just using soap and water for scuff marks, dirt smudges or any other marks.
- It helps reduce health issues like allergies, headaches, and other problems.
- This paint helps to reduce the concentration of contaminants in the ozone layer.
- Zero VOC paint performs well in terms of coverage, covering flaws and cleaning.
- Zero VOC paint is durable and long last longer as compared to the paints with a high level of toxic chemicals.
- There is an array of low VOC paint options available and you can choose any color for your home.
Choosing zero-VOC or low-VOC paint is a crucial step toward turning your paint job GREEN.
Why is it important to choose bedroom interior paint carefully?
The color in your bedroom is the direct reflection of your personality and at the same time, it can influence your mood and thoughts. The good news is that you do not have to abide by the latest trends in order to have a beautiful home. Color trends will come and go but what’s more important is your health. That is the biggest reason that most reputed companies are suggesting to use zero or low VOCs as best interior paint for the bedroom.
Choosing color combinations for the interior of your bedroom is another important decision as color has the power to change the shape as well as the size of furnishings and room itself. Paint comes in a variety of sheens and zero VOCs are the most popular one these days because of the countless benefits offered by it.
How to choose the best interior paint for bedroom?
The easiest way to choose the best interior paint for the bedroom is to start with the colors you love as it will give you a base to start. Either you can create a color scheme around your favorite colors or find inspiration from Internet or magazines. The following points may help you find your perfect shade:
- Find an inspiration from different sources such as online catalogs, magazines, etc.
- Create a color scheme to choose different shades.
- Buy testers in a few shades and apply to test if it looks good.
- Check the paint against furniture and fabrics.
- Pick the right sheen and mask the flaws.
- Understand undertones to get rid of too shiny or dull shades.
- Have a proper color theme throughout your home.
Make your home beautiful by painting
Painting your home can be a very interesting task if you know what can make your walls look the best. If you want to breathe a new life into your home or office, you have to find and compare different paint options while keeping in mind the level of VOC in every option available. This is the only way you can make sure that whatever you are going to choose is good for The Earth and ultimately best for you.
The glossier the paint, the easier it is to clean up but it will make imperfections in your wall more apparent. Semi-gloss would be a great choice for kitchens and bathrooms as the paint is easy to wash and also less expensive than the gloss finish. However, if you have walls with lots of blemishes, a flat or matte paint can be an ideal choice. The best rule of thumb is to consider the color wheel as it will allow one color to stand out more.
Color Choices: To get a subtle and soothing look, you may choose light colors such as lavenders, powdery blues, pinks, and soft yellows. If you want an elegant look, you can go for neutral colors as they offer elegance and flexibility. When we talk about neutral shades, it does not necessarily mean white or beige, you can go for almond walls with red toned browns on the trim. A vibrant look can be created by using bold colors like gold, reds, dark purples, and oranges.
Coming to the ceiling, you can create an illusion of a lower ceiling by painting it a darker shade than walls and vice versa. You can also add a tint of bold color to your ceiling paint for a subtle look. You can also transform the entire look of your rooms by creating focal points such as by adding contrasting colors to the walls and trim or a totally different color on one wall. It is totally up to you that which corner you want to highlight by painting.
While not all companies encourage its customers to use environment-friendly or zero VOC products yet, a few have started protecting both its clients and the environment. After all, it is always nice to have a calm space to lay our head at the end of every busy day. So, choose with care and save both your health and money….